The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Wooden Cigar (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
54 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Does anyone know of a current source for the sort of wooden cigar manipulation prop that John Rogers used to make? Would rather avoid making one on my own as I am not especially good with arts and crafts activities.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Have you tried the novelty shops? Amazon even carries some fake cigars: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fakes+cigars&......2n37rq_b

In terms of arts and crafts. A dowel tapered or rounded at one end and painted brown will pass. If you want it to look real coat it with glue and wrap it with some dark brown paper. Crinkle the paler a bit and put it on as a strip and spiral it around. Touch the edges of the strip with a bit of darker brown sharpie.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can try this as well, the cigar looks good, you don't have to do the cig to cigar effect.

https://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Cig-......oryId=-1
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
54 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Don't think I can load that on my finger though.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
54 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
As I understand it, the one's sold by John Rogers allowed you to put your finger into the "ash" end so you could palm it before bringing it into view. That would work well with the routine I am working on.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh, that is the manipulation cigar that was once given in the Chavez School as part of the props. I had a friend that made them himself, by rolling brown paper like a cigar leaf. Then varnished the paper to give that dark brown look. A little grey and white paint on the tip for the ash. Worked and looked great.

I don't know of anyone making them for over 50 years.

I think you could order the ones Harry listed and see if you can convert them. Should not be that hard.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
54 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
The Chavez one is exactly what I’m looking for.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Oh, that is the manipulation cigar that was once given in the Chavez School as part of the props.

Funny, I wasn't given that prop at Chavez. I had to fake it and make my own. I couldn't find one commercially, either (though, since I don't like cigarette magic, I didn't look very hard).
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
54 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
I think they were given out at Chavez "back in the day" (as in when Benny was still running the course).
Max T. Oz
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Max T. Oz
Hello Mr EvilClown, You mentioned you were hesitant in making your own cigars....but if you end up doing this, it well worth the effort.

I made mine from wooden dowel. Cut at 3 inches (7.5 cm). File/sand taper at one end. Paint brown, burn/sear the one end, put on a scanned decal...and away you go.

For palming....tenkai is really the way to go.

I made my cigars and use them to great success in my manipulation seen in following clip. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsk-dNAkSAM

EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
54 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
You are talking to a man whose wife hides the power tools from him for fear of accidental maiming of himself, her, or the cats. Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2019, danaruns wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Oh, that is the manipulation cigar that was once given in the Chavez School as part of the props.

Funny, I wasn't given that prop at Chavez. I had to fake it and make my own. I couldn't find one commercially, either (though, since I don't like cigarette magic, I didn't look very hard).

It did not come with my Course either. Marian gave me line drawings of all the gimmicks, but no cigar. It was not until years later that magic friend, who has a skill at finding what he wants and getting it paid off. He discovered an original Chavez manipulation Cigar. He bought a mini lathe and made several in wood, then switched to paper bag material as I described earlier. He was also a perfectionist, so the all turned out very realistic. He gave me a wood one that had one small flaw, I could not see it, but he could not live with it.

These gimmicks were part of the Chavez course in the 1940's. When stock ran out, I guess they never replenished their stock. I finally talked to Neil Foster, and he sold me the clips and gimmicks he had a local person make for him, for his students, but no Cigars.

Oh, the cigars are actual size, like five inches long. I will have to dig mine out if I can find it.

The Abbott's one I referenced, is short and will work just fine, as you push a cigarette into your fist and when you open you had or are holding a cigar. If nothing else, you can see how brown paper on wood, can make it look so real.

Well, that is the story as I have experienced it.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
54 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
I had gotten the impression from Dale Salwak that they used to be provided at one point, but it is possible I misunderstood. I have a lesson with him today and will ask (if I remember to do so).
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
I know a source but I believe it is only available in France.

It was created by a french magician called Urbain.

https://www.crazymagie.com/cigares-de-ma......923.html

You can try to contact him on his YouTube channel.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2019, EvilClown wrote:
I had gotten the impression from Dale Salwak that they used to be provided at one point, but it is possible I misunderstood. I have a lesson with him today and will ask (if I remember to do so).

Did you ever find one?
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
I make them. Length to suit. Ash or no ash. Also cigarettes.

Riley
Phelyx
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO USA
1 Post

Profile of Phelyx
I am happy to help. I have been producing my "Wooden Smokes" for a few years. I will not likely do it forever because I am a full-time traveling performer but it did serve me as a pass-time project through this pandemic.
Many photographs and video are available here: https://www.phelyx.com/merchandise
I am currently working on a special John Carney model (with John, of course).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, EvilClown wrote:
Don't think I can load that on my finger though.

Yes that is how they are suppose to be, it is called, "Finger Palming" usually with the 2nd finger.

Just go buy a real large cigar, to see wha ton looks like, then do a search on Google and see if there is a video on how to roll your own cigars. You don't want the cigar all wrinkled, but smooth. Then you can make it look like the real thing. Just mix some gray and white paint, and paint the end that usually has ashes. You can make it look look the real thing.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd