The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: YOUNG TALENT kicks "Astro Sphere' tush! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Very nice routine and performance by a youngster! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81QclWVOL8I
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
That is not astro sphere. But, is a classic Okito floating ball method.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
She's been on the Café before. She is quite good.
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Astro-sphere...Okito floating ball...it's all the same. LOL! Don't get technical with me. I was more impressed with her natural presentationa abilities than the effect itself. She's a natural.
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, the young lady started some long conversations concerning the Floating Ball, even Mike Danata himself stopped by for a comment or two.

This is Mike Danata's Floating Ball routine he sold some years ago. He converted it to the Floating Golden Stick and published it way back when. Same routine and moves, just a different object.

You can find the complete routine, I am told, in the back of the Invisible Thread Manual book.

Here is the PDF version:
http://www.lybrary.com/the-invisible-thr......399.html

The softcover version is still available at magic shops and on line at slightly higher price.

http://www.magicinc.net/theinvisiblethreadmanual.aspx

http://www.vikingmagic.com/Invisible%20Thread%20Manual
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
884 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Kiddmagic, this is the place where people will get technical with you! Smile

Really, there is considerable difference between Astrosphere and the Okito method. But I do agree with you in that it is her presence and showmanship that are so very refreshing. Many "magicians' who fancy themselves as "pros" would do well to study this act and dissect it to discover why it works as well as it does.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2013-03-18 13:35, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Yes, the young lady started some long conversations concerning the Floating Ball, even Mike Danata himself stopped by for a comment or two.

This is Mike Danata's Floating Ball routine he sold some years ago. He converted it to the Floating Golden Stick and published it way back when. Same routine and moves, just a different object.

You can find the complete routine, I am told, in the back of the Invisible Thread Manual book.

Here is the PDF version:

I have Wichmann's first book floating routines and the Danata Floating stick is not in it. Looks like most of the material is in this other book. He must have updated it by adding more to it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have the 1st printing as well, the blue cover, perfect bound. I believe the current offering is a second or so printing and includes the Floating Golden Stick routine as well in the back of the book.

I purchased the Floating Golden Stick while at Abbott's one Saturday, it just caught my eye. I did not realize how powerful a routine it was, as it was not advertised in magic magazines at the time. Just a new publication from the U.K.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Are the hook-up/set-up demands difficult for doing this at parlor type show, or in someones living room?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 22:37, John Long wrote:
Are the hook-up/set-up demands difficult for doing this at parlor type show, or in someones living room?

John

Not difficult at all. The only concerns would be space and the ability to keep the gimmick invisible. Her entire set up is contained within the framework of the video... nothing "offstage". That is the main difference between this and Okito's setup, where one "point" is definitely offstage.

Well, I'll correct myself... there is a difference in the location of the opposite point, too.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-03-18 13:29, KIDDMAGIC wrote:
Astro-sphere...Okito floating ball...it's all the same. LOL! Don't get technical with me.

It's all the same? Some might find that an insult. Smile Just sayin'...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 23:54, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

John

Not difficult at all. The only concerns would be space and the ability to keep the gimmick invisible. Her entire set up is contained within the framework of the video... nothing "offstage". That is the main difference between this and Okito's setup, where one "point" is definitely offstage.

Well, I'll correct myself... there is a difference in the location of the opposite point, too.

Thanks, I had also gotten a PM from Dougini, who indicated that the setup may not be good for close Parlor or a living room, due to visibility matters.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-03-26 13:27, John Long wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 23:54, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

John

Thanks, I had also gotten a PM from Dougini, who indicated that the setup may not be good for close Parlor or a living room, due to visibility matters.

You might be able to find a good compromise between the thickness of the gimmick, and the weight of the floating object.

It I recall, the floating stick was such that it might even work with slightly heavier-duty IT.

Check fly-tying supplies. Bass-Pro Shops has a pretty good selection.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the Floating Golden Stick booklet in PDF only.

http://www.lybrary.com/floating-golden-stick-p-271046.html

This exact routine can be with the wand or a ball. They are exactly alike mover for move.

Or

Get the Invisible Thread Manual and get the Golden Stick instruction as well. So many good ideas in this book.

mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Which version is described better? Other than buying both, which one is the better to buy if I already own the original Wichmann book.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Golden Stick is a reprint in the book. They are identical. It all depends if you want additional information on floating objects. If not just buy the Stick book and perform the wand routine. The only thing that is not in both books is converting the set up to a ball, or in other words, how it it hooked up the ball. All the moves are just as in the video with the little girl, who is probably all grown up now.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I downloaded the entire book. It's good to have this on file. I viewed the Golden Stick and I am impressed. I have the Okito instructions for the floating ball and I must say the Danata hook up is very practical. Definitely can be used on stage with no difficult set up. The book is a good investment as the other information is very well done. And the Danata section is great.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
So which one has the description of the ball?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Neither, but just use a ball instead of a stick. The Wichmann book shows you other floating effects which includes a ball. It's really good. Now with the Danata hook up it's really good.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Want a great line to use with this? Vectra X2 Stage Line:

http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......69824d00

Others are listed there as well. I can only vouch for the X2

Doug