The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Card clips for steals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
allesmand
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of allesmand
Hi i´ve seen that in jeff McBride the art of card manipulation.
And in the evolution of card manipulation, they shows some clips.
for holding out cards on the body, were can I get these?
if they could be found within europe that would great.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't know where to purchase card holders in Europe.

If you would like to make your own, then visit a stationary store and purchase Banker's Clips and Butterfly Clips. Attach 2 or 3 inch safety pin to them, then paint black and you will be all set.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/48......-Silver/

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/49......ver-Box/

They come in various sizes as well. For best lie on the clothing, the butterfly clip should have a 1 inch piece of metal attached to the top extending to the safety pin.
JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
I use the "Ideal" clips myself. I got this info from a Dan Sperry video.

I have "manipulated" them to hold one (1) Fakini 1 3/4" ball as well. I took this idea from Levent who uses a coat hanger. I found that the "ideal" clip was easier to bend.

Now, the hiding or the placement is a whole other story...

Good luck.
Are you watching closely?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
My universal utility clips were used by Jeff for many years. It's been knocked off by many dealers.
https://www.google.com/search?ie=utf-8&r......ity+clip
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tony Clark sales the "Ultra Card Dropper".

James Rainho still sells his "Card Clip"
http://www.rainho.com/PROPS.html
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Bill Severn teaches how to make your own in his book "Magic Workshop". Just need a couple of bobby pins, some index cards and tape...
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-02-23 22:07, magicians wrote:
My universal utility clips were used by Jeff for many years. It's been knocked off by many dealers.
https://www.google.com/search?ie=utf-8&r......ity+clip

Endorsed by Jeff McBride, Lance Burton, used by Irv Weiner and Paul Gertner just to mention a few. Used for tail coat steals, lapel, vest or jacket.
Good enough to be copied and sold by some very noted lecturers.
Mine will hold cards (full bridge deck or half a poker deck), spread of 6 coins, silks, Jumbo coin (super quiet), rope, 6 cigarettes etc. and best of all it's still the same price as it was in the 70's.Sell out at Tannens convention (300 pieces). If I don't tell you, no one else will. Made of real soft leather.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
Norm Nielsen makes a nice card dropper as well.
allesmand
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of allesmand
I did as wmhegbli said I could do, make one my selves. And I did but I could´nt find any clamps. That looked just a litle bit like the ones he found.
But then I went to a 2 dollar store. And they had some giant paperclips, and they worked just fine.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Ian,
How big a jumbo coin can it hold? I'm looking for the next size greater than 3 inch. Whatever that is. Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-02-25 13:38, JamesinLA wrote:
Ian,
How big a jumbo coin can it hold? I'm looking for the next size greater than 3 inch. Whatever that is. Thanks.

Jim

For coins you can use either method of clip, but you should follow the instruction from Jerry Andrus Miser's Miracle booklet when converting a butterfly clip.

A banker's clip should have shrink wrap tubeing from Radio Shack or the hardware store. This grips better for no accidents.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-02-25 13:38, JamesinLA wrote:
Ian,

Jim

I got some of Ian's clips many years ago, and I think a 3" coin may be the diameter limit. You could nip the edge of a larger coin, but you'd have to check the security of the hold. For the 3" coins, they worked well.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
3" coin works well, but due to the strength of the clip, you can actually just catch a piece of a 5" production coin and it will hold it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use Ian's. I love it. I noticed it in his lecture.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tony Clark makes a card clip as well.

http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/......ct_id=81

I do not have this gimmick so I cannot comment on it advantages and disadvantages if over the standard gimmicks.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It seems to be a banker's clasp with a support holder soldered to it.
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Once you have either bought or made your clips and holders the next thing you will want to consider is where to pin them. Seems like an obvious answer but it isn't. If you require your holders to be just at the bottom of your jacket or similar then don't make the mistake of attaching them to your jacket.

Holders, clips etc. attached to your jacket will make a "pulling" motion that is visible to the entire audience when you secretly remove your items. Also it will ruin your jacket and most of all - your jacket moves !

I have seen countless numbers of manipulators who "lose" their loads simply because they don't know where they are and are unable to properly locate them.

Holders should be attached to your trousers ( pants ) at the correct height you require them. In this way you will always know where they are and when your jacket moves the load won't.

Stuart Brown

British Magical Champion
Of Stage Manipulation 2007

http://www.themagicofstuartbrown.co.uk
http://www.stuartmagic.co.uk
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-02-29 14:48, stuartmagic wrote:
Once you have either bought or made your clips and holders the next thing you will want to consider is where to pin them. Seems like an obvious answer but it isn't. If you require your holders to be just at the bottom of your jacket or similar then don't make the mistake of attaching them to your jacket.

Holders, clips etc. attached to your jacket will make a "pulling" motion that is visible to the entire audience when you secretly remove your items. Also it will ruin your jacket and most of all - your jacket moves !

I have seen countless numbers of manipulators who "lose" their loads simply because they don't know where they are and are unable to properly locate them.

Holders should be attached to your trousers ( pants ) at the correct height you require them. In this way you will always know where they are and when your jacket moves the load won't.

Stuart Brown

British Magical Champion
Of Stage Manipulation 2007

http://www.themagicofstuartbrown.co.uk
http://www.stuartmagic.co.uk

Very good advice, but if wearing a suit type jacket, one must be careful as to placement even more. If pinned to your trousers, then reaching to high may reveal your holders. Depending on the length and design of a holder, one may not have any choice but to pin the jacket. In that case always pin and grab a bit of the outer material. Or do as Geoffrey Buckingham suggest and put all your loads on you jacket lining and have a tailor cut off the stretched material and re-attach at the bottom. Considering you have a fully lined garment.

I have noted that some performer on YouTube have actually placed a second flap or tail over the outside of their coats or dresses covering the loads. Nice idea but a dead give-a-way for experienced magicians. Ladies garments, most think nothing of it, but for men's garments, that is not the accepted norm for men's jackets. This thinking may work, but will you actually get-a-way with it in performance.
JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
I will assume that the placement of these clips are based on when and where one want's to steal the load. I will need to work on a routine so I can figure this out. This would be a personal preference would it not or are there learned routines that show this info?

Thanks for any help in the right direction.
Are you watching closely?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
James you bring up a very good question, but there is no definitive answer. Steals can be made from the person/clothing, a table, a prop like a hat, or any number of places. This solely depends on the individual doing the stealing. It is not taught for just that reason. Fred Kaps did body and table steals, Neil Foster only did steals from his box table.

The most comprehensive explanation of steals is in Geoffrey Buckingham's book "It's Easier Then You Think", although he does not cover playing card steal. There are a few examples in older booklets of performer use of steals from a table top and such. Maybe something in Tarbell as well, can't remember. As with most manipulations from years ago, only here and there short mentions of such methods.

Remember, steals are made to either replenish or as a surprise production. There must be a purpose 1st, then method to fulfill that purpose.

I will never forget Norm Nielsen performance once a convention. He opens with card productions. He produced six fans or so, and then continued with more. I turned to the person next to me, and said how did he do that with a short waist coat jacket. Norm took several steps to stage left and continued producing fans of cards from his left hand. Then stepping near his coin ladder, he continued with his right hand again and producing full fans of cards, a few singles and the last fan and cards from mouth he always does.

Now I know I can only get 6 fans out of deck of regular cards and only 7 or eight out of a manipulation deck. So where did all these additional card loads come from? I will never know and he will never tell, but it was wonderful to watch.