The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Coin Stack Holder for Miser's Dream (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I was looking for the book that has the coin stack holder that is made out of a wooden base and has four nails driven through the bottom of the wooden base and protrudes upward. You then file the nails down and you now have a holder for a tied stack of coins. I thought it was in the book "It's Easier Than You Think" by Geoffrey Buckingham. When I did not find it in those three volumes, I looked in Routined Manipulations" by Lewis Ganson.

Where did I see this holder?

I am having a brain fart, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

David W.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Someone described that on the Café a short time ago, maybe you mind created it. As I have not seen it in a book. Neil Foster showed me his version years ago with 3 nails. You need something smaller then the coins under the stack, so you have room to pick up the coins.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
That was described in Howie Swartzman's lecture note 30 years ago. Make the wood a little narrower than the coins so you can grab the bottom edges quickly. I think Howie used 3 or 4 finishing nails driven in the board from the top.

Any questions drop me a line.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Thanks guys. I could have sworn I saw it in a book, somewhere.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Without going to look my self, do you have the Faucett Ross Book? That is the only book that I remember it has a section on Coins and gimmicks.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Darkwing:

I think Jeff McBride demonstrated that gimmick in one of the Coin, Thimble, Ball videos. Perhaps that's where you saw it?

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Levent,

I did see it on Jeff's DVDs but I did see it in a book somewhere else. Boy you guys are really being patient with me. I even reviewed your DVD vol. 1 last night.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 11:46, wmhegbli wrote:
Without going to look my self, do you have the Faucett Ross Book? That is the only book that I remember it has a section on Coins and gimmicks.

Wmhegbli,

No I don't have a copy of the Faucett Ross book but it is on my must have list.

Thank you for your help.

David
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
There are some good drawings of the holders which Neil Foster used on the inside of his coin bucket in the book: "The New Modern Coin Magic" by J. B. Bobo. There's an article entitled "Climax to the Coin Pail" by Neil Foster starting on page 426.

I was a big fan of Neil's and have several cuts of him performing the coin pail. In his later years he developed a better approach for stealing the two large last loads right out of the bucket. It was so natural that it fooled most all of the magicians that saw him do it in his act at the Magic Get-Togethers in Colon almost every year. I never figured it out until I got a video of him doing it and watched it over and over. He may have shared it with some of his Chavez Students, but I've never seen it in print or on any video I've seen. He had an equally clever way to get his initial load of coins into Downs palm at the beginning of his routine. This one I'll share with you here. In some shows, but not all, he preceded the Miser's dream with a rope trick called "Lucky Loops." When he reached into the table to get the rope and scissors for this he also stole the initial stack of palming coins. He then proceded to do the Lucky Loops routine with the coins palmed the entire time! When he finished the rope trick he dropped the resulting ropes into his table with his hands never going out of sight. Still, because he was an entire routine ahead, he was ready to reach into the air and produce coins, one at a time, from the stack he had been holding out.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com