The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: The Cardini Book!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Here's a taste of what's to come. I suggest you all hit The Miracle Factory website.

Quote:
One of the dangers of magic is that its language, the vocabulary of showmanship, is one of superlatives. When you are researching an artist as exceptional as Cardini, the peril of being sucked into a morass of sycophancy becomes even greater. I do not wish this volume to fall into that trap.
Nevertheless, there can be little doubt that he was the most successful British magical performer operating on the international scene during the last one hundred years. When Magic magazine conducted its controversial poll to find the one hundred magicians who had most affected American magic in the twentieth century, Cardini was not surprisingly placed in the final ten. Editor and publisher Stan Allen graciously invited me to pen the words to accompany Cardini’s portrait in the climactic issue of the series. I wrote, “He brought to legerdemain the wit, sophistication, and flawless technique that Astaire conferred upon the dance and, like Fred, remained etched effortlessly on the consciousness of each succeeding generation. Cardini was perfection.”
I prefer the words of one of Cardini’s own idols, T. Nelson Downs, who travelled one hundred miles to see the younger performer when he first arrived in America. In an early letter to Faucett Ross, he wrote, “I’ll give you the secret of Cardini’s success in a few words. He does not do tricks in the sense of the word. His act does not smell of magic and magicians’ props. He’s half finished his act before the audience discovers he’s a magician.” A sad indictment of magic perhaps, but possibly the most astute compliment ever paid to him.

— From John Fisher's preface to Cardini: The Suave Deceiver

Available at: http://www.miraclefactory.net/cardinipreface.htm
POOF!
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Yay, can't wait!
Paul
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Great. Looking forward to it!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Can you tell us a little about the author?

Cordially, Howard
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
By clicking on the link (topic post 1), you can verify with Todd Karr.
However, I did find this, though, I'm not be sure it's the same John Fisher. Were I a betting man, I'd make wager; what are the odds?

[John Fisher’s Biography:

John Fisher was born in 1945 and educated at King Edward VI School, Southampton and Magdalen College, Oxford. His long and distinguished career as a television producer and executive working in light entertainment for both the BBC and Thames Television has embraced shows as diverse as 'Parkinson,' 'The Bob Monkhouse Show,' 'The Ken Dodd Show,' 'Wogan,' 'Joan Rivers: Can We Talk?,' 'The Best of Magic,' 'This Is Your Life,' 'Des O'Connor Tonight,' 'The Paul Daniels Magic Show,' with which he won the Golden Rose of Montreux, and specials with names ranging from Spike Milligan, Max Wall and Bruce Forsyth to Paul Merton, David Copperfield and Tommy Cooper. His most recent work has included the critically acclaimed series 'Heroes of Comedy' for Channel 4 and its sister show 'Heroes of Magic'. An authority on the history of popular entertainment, he includes amongst his published works 'Funny Way To Be A Hero', regarded as the seminal work on British variety comedians and described by The Times as 'the best book about twentieth-century British entertainers I have ever read,' and 'Call Them Irreplaceable,' an analysis of star quality as seen through the performances of the great solo entertainers of the twentieth century. 'Jus' Like That!' - his celebration for the stage of the life of Tommy Cooper - has enjoyed recent success at London's Garrick Theatre and on tour throughout the United Kingdom. He shares with Tommy Cooper the distinction of being a Gold Star Member of The Inner Magic Circle. An authority on magic and magicians, he is a past recipient of The Magic Circle's 'Magician of the Year' award and was the first person to receive the Houdini Award for services to international magic on American television's prestigious 'World Magic Awards.']
POOF!
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Thank You.

Cordially, Howard
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
It looks like a lovely book,
but its going to be expensive in England.
I think it will be out of my price range.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks for sharing this info with us. Will get my hands on that book.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Quote:
On 2007-04-26 08:33, eddieloughran wrote:
It looks like a lovely book,
but its going to be expensive in England.
I think it will be out of my price range.

I think it's expensive in America! Haha..

I might try to get it anyway though..It looks great.

The Great Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Looks amazing.
At the moment can't afford the price, but this is definitely something I'll buy. Cardini was a genius, one of my favourite magicians of all time.

Thanks for this...
(I'm still wishing for the Kaps book to be released... P)

Antonio
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I wrote earlier on the price;
to clear up this point, an American priced book costs about the same in pounds as the American price in dollars.
$125 dollars will cost us in the region of £100, ($200).

This is why some of us buy our books from the publishers!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Yay....i'm gettin it
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I pre-ordered the limited edition. A note for those who decide to try to pick one up later: Unless Todd does a second run, which I doubt, the price will never be less. Collectors could conceivably horde this book and sell them later in bidding wars.
POOF!
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I just pre-ordered mine. Does anyone know when this will be shipping?

Peter
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
An email today says that Todd has received them and will begin shipping this week...
casibb3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of casibb3
Cardini Book arrived today, so shipping is on. The book is a great addition to the literature of the art. Did not disappoint. Many hours will be spent perusing and using this tome. Much to be learned from it. Of particular interest is the chapter detailing the act, start to finish. Amazingly clear and complete.

Frank
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I've read several of the swelling comments posted by others, so I decided to order the regular edition, preceding my limited edition. The book is everything that everybody has said and more. Even if you are not a manipulator and aren't much for magic history this book is for you. I too read the breakdown of Cardini's act. I knew Cardini was great, but, the detailed description highlights just how brilliant he was. No second takes, no wasted moves. The book captures this spirit and is superbly done. BRAVO!
POOF!