The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Zombie balls ... Which is the best in your opinion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Which kind of zombie ball is the best in your opinion for a beginner?

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
New Orleans or BUST 2003!
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I suggest buying a real metal zombie and then practicing over the carpet or bed.

The Ickle Pickle Zombie is the finest I've ever seen, with a perfect base, but alas they only comes in the small size. For this reason I suggest the Morrissy (sp?) Zombie, which comes in a 3", 4" and my favourite, the 5". Morrissy will also make the gimmick whatever lenth you desire.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
By the way, does anyone know what size zombie Tim Wright is using in his zombie video? It looks like a smaller size to me. Unless he's a giant. Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
Does anyone happen to do their zombie without music? I wondered about that...and using a flash gimmick at the end.

-Brad
mcatalani
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of mcatalani
Uday makes a zombie ball with gimmick, base, and foulard that retails for $15-$20. I don't perform with it, but I do use it to practice some of the more difficult (and possibly zombie ball denting) moves.

Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The best Zombie for a beginner is a used one for under $20 that has a full braced hole. Some only have a lip and no depth. The hole makes the gimmick attach easier.

The reason for it is that, it is OK if it is dropped a few times while learning to use it. No need to dent an expensive ball.

I too asked which is the best Zombie to one of my mentors, Denny Haney. I have several Zombies and I wanted a larger one.When I discussed this topic, Denny said he only sold good quality Zombies. They're expensive, they do not show the connecting line, are lightweight, and they have a hole which the gimmick can hold much better. I think the price was around $100 dollars. When I got this new ball, he was right when I compared it to my others.

As with many products, quality products are important, so I practice with my dented Zombie and use the expensive one for shows.
Dennis Michael
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Several years ago, I saw someone do a zombie routine that was the best I'd ever seen. He was working on a summer circuit, doing town festivals and such. When I talked to him afterwards, I told him how much I admired his zombie work. He laughed and said that was the cheapest thing in his show. His was nothing more than a styrofoam ball, painted sparkly, with a simple gimmick that looked more like a coat hanger. He said he never had a problem with this ball falling off the gimmick.

The bottom line is, some people can take expensive items and make them look cheap in performance. Others can take nothing, practice forever, and make it look like the most expensive thing in the world.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Den,
How large does he make his Zombie balls?

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
Long ago I acquired an aluminum climax zombie ball. It's used at the end of a routine (usually switched), and can be split open to reveal spring flowers, etc.

In the beginning, I did not know this. I practiced with it. (God, it was heavy)! I can now do the zombie with a regular ball with the greatest of ease.

I no longer use it though, I don't recall who makes the climax zombie ball. Where's my Abbott's catalog?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I saw one of these climax spring flower zombies in use on the Tim Wright zombie video. It was a great routine by Neal Foster, I think. He did switch to the climax ball for the effect.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Regarding Magibrad's question about music:
Used in performances for children
I have performed the Zombie while reciting the poem Jabberwocky.
The foulard I use has a dragon printed on it, and I explain the ball is a dragon's egg. I then say I will recite a favorite poem about a dragon.

I am curious as to music that other people use - how long of a routine they perform and how much synchronized choreography is used?
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-01-12 16:23, Scott Ocheltree wrote:
I have performed the Zombie while reciting the poem Jabberwocky. The foulard I use has a dragon printed on it, and I explain the ball is a dragon's egg. I then say I will recite a favorite poem about a dragon.

Thanks for the idea Scott!
Wow. That's creative. As a spectator, your poem and Dragon egg idea would truly captivate me.

Randy Stewart
magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
ah ha! I didn't think that poem would come in handy...ever...but that's a really good idea. Did you make the foulardlouard yourself Scott? Or did you buy it?

-Brad
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Scott,

What an absolutely brillig idea!

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Thanks for all the positive feedback -
never having the luxury of a sound system, I found this a good way to provide a lyrical way to present the zombie. -One of those "necessity is the mother of invention" kind of things.
The poem is short enough that if fits pretty well and it has a nice dramatic arch that lets you have some different things to do with the ball.
The foullard is one I bought a long time ago (25 years) but I have seen similar ones online.