The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Gotta Smoke? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Besides Tom Mullica, who else does cigarette manipulation real good?

Is there anyone you know of using cigars?

Abracadabra, Dynamike
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Nate Leizpig did cigars from purse, which will be on John Carney's new book. Also, Amos Levkovitch does some cigarrete stuff along with Shimada and vito lupo.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Your welcome... also if you want to learn some cigarette moves... get Tarbell Volume 2. That's where I learned some awesome cigarette moves. And by the way, for you guys that don't smoke. Cigarette moves can also be used for your hot rod and other similar objects... so learn them!
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
One of the BEST books on the subject is THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CIGARETTE TRICKS. Written in the '30's, but it has wonderful advise and the like for just about any and all cig manipulation acts.

Hope this helps,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Johnny Thompson has one cig production on his vol 3 of "Commerical Classics Of Magic" its kinda cool, and he has a couple of other cool cig tricks.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
It is not very well known, but Cardini did cigarette manipulation - try checking out a video with him on it.
Geoff Ray
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
There was a time when many, perhaps most, stage manipulators "did" cigarettes. Cardini was just one of many although he was clearly one of the best. Other noted cigarette producers of the past include Frakson and Keith Clark. Studying the history of our art can keep one from sounding uninformed. History is also a rich source of ideas.

Now that cigarettes are no longer PC, many of the cigarette moves could be applied to ball point pens, crayons and many other objects of a suitable size and shape.

You might think about using cigarettes (gasp!) in a humorous anti-smoking routine. Such a routine, complete with gag props, was published by Magic, Inc. and may still be in print.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You are right Sid. How about using fake cigarettes? I think crayons and pens are too diffucult.

I did get my first 2 books in by Lewis Ganson, "Routined Manipulation."

Dynamike
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I usually use short pencils of various colours. Fake cigarettes work well too, I like the bubble gum ones. Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
I open my show with a Billiard Ball routine. The routine starts with nothing in my hands, and a cigarette is magically produced. I don't use the cig as a manipulation act per se, but I perform a quick vanish and recovery with it.

During the routine, the cig 'acts' as my magic wand... making the billiard balls appear and multiply between my fingers. The cigarette is lit the entire time, and after all 5 balls have appeared, I end the routine by vanishing the lit cig (ultimately ending with nothing, just as I started.)

Even though I do produce a cigarette on stage, no one has ever mentioned that it's in bad taste. My routine is set up so they understand that the cig and smoke, is what is making the magic happen.

Still having fun!
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
If you are worried about cigarettes being in bad taste, just move to Germany. People give press conferences with an ashtray in front of them and a cigarette in their mouth. My motto for this country is, Germany: where you are always down wind of someone's $%&! cigarette.

Seriously, though. I'm a non smoker but I've learned some cig moves because producing and manipulating lit cigs, if done well, is strong magic.
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller