The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: A new salt pour question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Hello peoples

I am interested (and have been for some time) in doing the salt pour.

Now I have a few needs though and to answer your question

Yes I have seen the Hocus-Pocus online video and was disapointed.

what I am most interested is the "ditching" of the gimik at the end- like fred kapps-uses a tails topit the Hocus Pocus (long pour) he doesn't ditch it he grabs the tequila bottle unscrews the cap and then ditches which I think is kinda stupid- the whole effect rests on the fact that you can show your hand empty at the end.

it's like doing the cig thru coin and then ending with an obious switch.

are their any methods or products that allow a complete vanish at the end similar to the fred kaps routine. without using a topit.

thank you

David
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would not call the Kozak 'stupid', it is just what works for him. He explains his reasons in his DVD.

As for other ways, use the Kaps method or any of the popular Topit moves.

Your commet "It's like doing the cig thru coin and ending with an obious switch.", I believe this statement tells everyone you do not understand about routining a trick. How else would you do the cig thru quarter, effectively?

Maybe, manipulations is not for you. The Salt Pour is a stage trick and the rules are different then for close-up magic.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you get the book by Ross Bertram 'Mgic and Methods of Ross Bertram", he gives the outline for a routine which lets you ditch the gimmick logically.

Kozak's routine is anything but stupid. It works. It is not for me but it is logical and progressive in its routine. The dvd alone is worth the price of the gimmick if you are serious about doing the pour. It is the most complete information I have seen in one place.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Supreme Magic used to sell a routine by Hubert Lambert " Salt Galore". The routine was published later in Gen magazine. In the same Gen was also a routine by Lewis Ganson with the same gimmick. You finish clean and you make no mess on the floor. Gen magazine is now in digital form and you can order it from Martin Breeze.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I just got a good deal on Kozak's salt pour. This gimmick is made to last a lifetime and beyond. It's one of those items you can will to someone as it's made that way.

I personally was impressed with the Hocus Pocus video clip of Kozak in action. In the past I've seen many and this was inspiring when it came to such a classic. The final pour is a doozy! Although I'm a stickler for details like that one mentioned by member icentertainment, following the huge final pour of salt, I didn't care whether he showed the hands empty or not as that is ONE BIG LOAD OF SALT.

His hands being empty is pretty much established in spectator's mind when he unscrews the saltshaker cap and uses one hand to pour salt into the other. The pour is so long, and the final pour so impactful, that I doubt onlookers are desperately hoping to see him roll up sleeves and have hands examined up close.

Actually to show your hands empty at the end is unecessary and of little concern to the spectator who's scratching their heads, laughing, and really wondering where the ton of salt came from in the first place.

I also liked the touch with the Tequila bottle as it fit the music and materials in the act. Although he allows others to use his act and music, I feel that should remain his and his alone. I'll have a different application but with the same impact of the longest salt pour.

It would hopefully be inconceivable that such a large amount of salt could be held in the fist. If that be the spectator's perception then any "gimmick" in the hand should hold even less.

If you must, why not Toppit the gimmick.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

I'm only judging from the Real Media clip on Hocus Pocus - maybe there is another video demo out there or the one you get with the DVD is different.

I think you should give your audiences more credit- in Australia anyway
Do you do your card manips with your sleeves rolled back or are they down

Realisticly it is really impossible to do card manip[s with with the cards coming from the sleeve as the method

What is that Saying- about the audience ---"don't let them suspect let alone detect"

Now routining is one thing- but the audience isn't stupid and they know it's impossible for you to have a bucket full of salt in your hand so they are going to want to know about your hand.

if anyone has seen the Fred Kaps routine on the Fred Kapps DVD you will realise he was asked to perform it again and again - The bit with his sleeves torn off suggests that people ARE asking the question- "what is in his hand?"

Yes the amount of salt looks good and I do like the finale part- I don't think his presentation is anything special. I don't see why people are giving his presentation rave reviews however- I mean he just stands there and salt coming out of his hand. And I would never swig a tequila infront of a corporate audience- (or any audience for that matter)
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
OK.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't care for Kozak presentation either, but he is a full time professional working in Las Vegas regularly.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Question: what do they say about magicians in Las Vegas???
Answer: Next

The demo on Hocus Pocus looks like a comedy club- Here in Australia Comedy Clubs are 1 step up from a strip club -it's probably different in the US.

I am also a full time performer who regularly performs for the corporate market but
I am hear to learn about finale's to the salt pour that you don't have to "hold out" until you grab a tequila bottle!
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

When performing the salt pour and show buckets loads of salt coming out- it is a longish effect as in it's not instant- it keeps happening and whilst people may laugh- they also start to think

"OK he's got something in his hands" I mean give your audience some credit

It's not about routining it's about the ending

Also the ditch at the end of the tape

Grabbing the tequila bottle- when he unscrews the cap it takes him forever to "simply throw a cap into his case"

where he is actually ditching the gimik and picking up the worm- This is bad and I don't care if the guy has been doing it for 25 years- you can get into very bad habits after 25 years

they may not see the gimik- but they do have potential to suspect that something is going on.- and if they suspect something then it's not magic
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Though I respect Kozak's routine, as I said, it is not for me. I use the Pressley Guitar gimmick and basically the Bertram routine. To clean up, I pour salt into one hand, retaining some, then start the pour with that hand. I put the gimmick into my pocket and retrive a hanky to brush off the last grains of salt. Seems logical and works for me.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-10-04 06:24, icentertainment wrote:
Question: what do they say about magicians in Las Vegas???
Answer: Next

Is that what they used to say about Michael Skinner?

What do they say about magicians in the world famous Australian magic venues? What are the world famous Australian magic venues?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magic is only a variety act. Variety acts are on the bottom of the pile around the world. If you get to be billed on the billboard then you are at the top as a variety artist.

Mr Hughes gave you the Pressley Guitar instructions. So you have all that is available to date. Kaps - ditch, Kozak - hold onto until the correct time, and Guitar - ditch with hanky.

That is all that is known wide range to date. If someone has a solution other then these, it is not published or been exposed to the magic community.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Try Raymond Crowe

You probably saw him in Las Vegas when he was on worlds greatest magicians

Skinner isn't performing now is he???- That era has gone
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It seems you are confused, close-up is not called manipulation. It is called close-up, this topic is stage manipulation you posted in. The salt pour is for the stage unless you use the Vernet gimmick. It seems you did not mention that you wanted it for close-up. Your video on your site shows you performing close-up card tricks.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 01:50, icentertainment wrote:
That era has gone

When is the last time you were in Vegas?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Icentertainment,

Here's what seems to be working for me so far. I haven't added the salt pour to my manipulation act as the search for the right music is still an issue. I'm also trying to figure a logical reason for using it as my act ends with an oriental theme (parasols and jumbo hand fans). At this point is looks like it will be a stand alone effect following the manip. act.

With the entire act aside, the actual performance of the salt pour, as you know, ends with the large load of salt pouring from hand. As soon as the salt is done pouring I immediately turn right, with left hand reach for a small towel which is next to the salt shaker, and Toppit gimmick with right hand. Wiping brow and hands, showing hands empty, I then toss it to the table and done!

In the initial post you said:

"he doesn't ditch it he grabs the tequila bottle unscrews the cap and then ditches which I think is kinda stupid- the whole effect rests on the fact that you can show your hand empty at the end."

OK so that won't work for you. Since you are a working pro, using a Toppit in the manner described or any other manner comfortable for you shouldn't be a problem. It works well for me and I don't need to ditch it on the table, in a bag, or anywhere else on stage. Just don't miss or the size and weight of the gimmick will be heard and seen by all. Smile It looks great and you can show your hands completely empty in a blink of an eye.

Good luck to you and long live Kozak! Smile
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

RandyStewart

Thanks mate

Oriental Theme- I'm not sure what salt pour gimik you use but can you make it rice
as in uncooked rice- I guess it would be more visible and they may bounce a little on stage

you could poor it into a Bucket and get the tink sound or you could pour it into a Lotta Bowl???- I think I read somewhere that they can contain rice although I may be mistaken- which may work with other effects- just thinking out aloud

Just a thought.

Yep I'll probably go for a Tail Topit- I can use it to ditch some other things in my card manip act that I'm not happy with at the moment.

Thank you

Dave