The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Copperfield's Method of the Appearing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Copperfieldian
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Copperfieldian
Hey guys,
I'm putting an act together and there is a bit in it where I use the appearing cane but by just making it to suddenly pop up isn't what I want. I'm more interested in the method Copperfield used when he took 2 blue silks... tied a knot in the middle... streched his hands out... and when he let go of the silks they were tied up in the middle of the cane between his outstreched hands.
If you didn't get what I mean - He used it in the Statue of Liberty special when he was telling the story about the orphans.
So if anyone could tell me how to tie that knot I'll really apreciate it.

Thanx,

David
Matt Kap
View Profile
New user
Seattle, Washington
67 Posts

Profile of Matt Kap
I think I know what you are talking about. Although I have never seen Copperfield perform it, Rick Thomas does something similar in his act. He just ties an overhand knot in a silk streamer. I liked it so much I went home and played around with a silk and a fantasio candle (I don't have a cane). It is a standard overhand knot, only you must release the cane through the hole when your hands come together.
Since you have the tape you could try a "frame-by-frame" practice session. I am amazed with the folks who invent these moves. They are simple and perfect...simply perfect. Just play around in front of a mirror and you may figure it out. Good Luck David.
-MATT KAP
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." -Albert Einstein
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
If I understand what you are describing, Shimada also uses this move in his dove act and is explained on his manipulation video. Matt has the moves right, its a beauty of an effect!
Copperfieldian
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Copperfieldian
Thanx guys

David
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Shimada printed the method in the MUM about 1978 I think..Cordially,Howard
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Yes, Shimada did. It can also be found on his Stevens Magic video on Manipulation. Volume three, I believe, but you'll have to check. It's a beautiful move!
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
Channing Pollock performed this on the Ed Sullivan show.
It's Fun to be Fooled
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-09-30 22:45, markyeager wrote:
Channing Pollock performed this on the Ed Sullivan show.

I seen the Channing Pollack performance and do not remember this effect in his act. He uses the Cane and Top Hat to table. When did he produce a cane from a knot tied in a silk. I remember he produced his double dove production from a scarf taken from his assistant's waist.

This is Shamada's effect as stated earlier in this string. He gave it to Copperfield to use in his television show.