The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: How should manipulation cards be used? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kenneth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Kenneth
I recently purchased a deck of Murphy's manipulation cards along with Jeff McBride's Art of Card Manipulation series. What I've noticed is that he uses poker sized cards such as bikes or bees when he does his demonstrations so I'm wondering where the bridge-sized manipulation cards will come in handy. From what I've read in the forums, certain brands of manipulation cards are better for fanning while others for the single production. Personally, I find that Murphy's cards allow me to fan more cards at once, but doesn't really help with single productions.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I use Bridge size manipulation cards!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Kenneth;

I have used both. and personally find the bridge size better. I feel that it vaires from person to person depending on your hand size, shape and flexibility. I actually use the cards that you mention and I really enjoy them. Experiment with different cards, and find out which work best for you.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
Quick Change Artist
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
Manipulation card are very different from all the others.
You can Backpalm for about 15card and you wont feel it Smile
I use S.T. Atlas Red Backed Manipulation card and they are Bridge Size!

In my Picture you can se me do the 'S' shape fan with my manipulation cards!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
LarryTaylor
View Profile
New user
Miamisburg Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of LarryTaylor
The thin manipulation cards are great for fanning and split fan productions.
I like the spring of the poker sized bees, they snap fast, you gotta powder them up.
Magical Entertainer,teacher and creative consultant.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I wana get McBride manipulation card!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Kenneth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Kenneth
Thank you all for your replies! I've been into magic just over a year but still pretty new to card manipulation so any feedback would really be helpful. I'm still experimenting with my cards and I do find that I'm not used to the softness of Murphy's Manipulation for single productions and I'm used to the spring of bicycle decks.

About the Mcbridge manipulation cards, from what I read on another thread in this forum, I get the impression they're meant to be more of a novelty item than for manipulation.

I'm still have some questions about manipulation cards:

1)Do you all normally use fanning powder with manipulation cards? Even for single productions? And in particular Murphy's manipulation cards?

2)Since some cards fan better while others are better for single productions? In a card production routine, would the whole routine typically be done with manipulation cards or would cards suited for single productions and fans be loaded at the appropriate times?

3)How long should I expect a deck of manipulation cards to last? Before I got them I was under the impression that they could take a lot of punishment but it seems like they can get creased quite easily too.

Thanks for taking the time to answer them!
joespc
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of joespc
You might want to purchase the book Routined Manipulation Finale by Lewis Ganson. There you will find a way to prepare regular playing cards for manipulation. You might also want to pickup Parts 1 and 2, because these are a great set of books.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Kenneth:

Concerning manipulation cards, the same cards are used for single productions and fans. Manipulation cards are different from fanning cards. A big part of fanning cards is the back design, which is made so that different designs are made by fanning the deck different ways. Manipulation cards (with typically a brownish back) are made with the idea that the backs are not ever shown (or at least seldom). The backs are really camoflage.

So, if you're doing a card manipulation act where you're producing fans and singles, you'll be using the same cards, which you definitely want to keep powdered. Properly powdered cards will help when you're producing single cards in succession.

Really, the only time you're using different types of cards is when you're mixing card productions (manip cards) with display fans (fanning cards).

Concerning how long cards last, a card press is a MUST. They are sort of like shoe trees for shoes in that they'll make your cards last much longer. Go to http://www.nnmagic.com and you'll see a fancy card press (you can make your own). The manipulation cards that Norm Nielsen sells are probably the most widely used cards in the world. His powder is excellent too.

The Routined Manipulation books are good; that's how I first learned. But I think with manipulation, video/DVD is really the way to go because there are so many details to learn - Jeff McBride is one of the best teachers in the world. He makes things so clear on his tapes and DVDs.

I hope this helps you with your questions. Good luck to you.

Ron
WesRay
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of WesRay
Where can you find poker-sized manipulation cards for sale? I've come to a dead end. Smile
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
Well I use fanning powder. It's more compatible that way.
Very usefull for single production, perfect production sometimes even for McBluff production.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
b-gann
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of b-gann
I have heard a lot of people say the reg. decks of cards have more of a snap action, but I have found that I prefer the manipulation cards, but I still use both.
sileeni
View Profile
Veteran user
UK.
361 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Peter Marvey has some nice ones. manipulation cards that is.
GrahamFishman
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of GrahamFishman
Peter Marvey card are great. the only problem is that he stopped making them a few months ago
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 19:24, WesRay wrote:
Where can you find poker-sized manipulation cards for sale? I've come to a dead end. Smile

The only manipulation poker-size cards are the Jeff McBride decks offered on his web site. They are not really manipulation cards but ordinary cards printed with a design to help hide the corners.

As in Jeff McBrides tapes, he just uses ordinary Bee back poker or Steamboat back cards made by the U.S. Playing Card Co. These can be purchased at such stores as Wal-Mart or gift stores. They must be 'broken in' as discribed in the Ganson book or Jeff's tapes. The red back cards are the common choice, as this is closer to flesh color, blue backs would show up to easily.

The final feature of the bridge size manipulation cards is the thinness of the card stock that allows you to hold twice as many cards. Thus allowing you to 'steal' additional loads or introduce new decks during a routine.

Note some Japanese Fanning Cards use wax, because fanning powder is or was not available in that country. So do not powder a waxed card. Apply more wax and smooth with you fingers.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I wana get one of thoese Jeff Card.
I have heard many good about thoese cards.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Actually if you buy a pack of Pineapple Surprise ( a variation on the Phil Deck)

these cards are made by the same people as Murphys they are poker sized and are the same thin cards- you get 70 odd cards in the pack but they are no bee back they are bikes but I use them and they are great for split fans and singles but a little too weak for flourishes like springing and waterfalls- arm catchs are a bit annoying because the cards are light but they are possible.

Do I worry about the cards backs not being red or skin color - NO you can't see the cards thru the fingers if you do the manips right.

I think you may be able to get blank Phil decks- not sure if they are white or they are a bike back with no words on them.
nikess1
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of nikess1
Hello This is my first time writing here!
Well I just want to inform the magic Café about manipulation cards.
McBride and peter's are not good in my opinion. I used one of the manipulation cards that Lee Eun Gyeol made. In my opinion, Those are the best!! It's his second manipulation cards. I like the design also the card case design are cool too! If you don't know who Lee Eun Gyeol is, type Lee Eun Gyeol in yahoo or something. Well I will tell you about Lee Eun Gyeol slightly for the ones who don't know. He is the 2nd place of Manipulation section is world F.I.S.M.,2003
His first time he joined, Fism, he got 2nd place. He got a wild applause everybody stood up and applaused!! If you get his manipulation cards, you might feel different, but if you use well, it's yours. It's different from any manipulation cards. It's flexibility!! etc. It's brown color in the end can conceal! you can back palm about 30cards! To me, 35 or so...... there are two sizes bridge, and impact. In Yahoo, Type manipulation cards then you will see manipulation cards bizmagic at ronjo. you gotta wait because it's out of stock.
Good luck!
Max Roh
nikess1
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of nikess1
Hello This is my first time writing here!
Well I just want to inform the magic Café about manipulation cards.
McBride and peter's are not good in my opinion. I used one of the manipulation cards that Lee Eun Gyeol made. In my opinion, Those are the best!! It's his second manipulation cards. I like the design also the card case design are cool too! If you don't know who Lee Eun Gyeol is, type Lee Eun Gyeol in yahoo or something. Well I will tell you about Lee Eun Gyeol slightly for the ones who don't know. He is the 2nd place of Manipulation section is world F.I.S.M.,2003
His first time he joined, Fism, he got 2nd place. He got a wild applause everybody stood up and applaused!! If you get his manipulation cards, you might feel different, but if you use well, it's yours. It's different from any manipulation cards. It's flexibility!! etc. It's brown color in the end can conceal! you can back palm about 30cards! To me, 35 or so...... there are two sizes bridge, and impact. In Yahoo, Type manipulation cards then you will see manipulation cards bizmagic at ronjo. you gotta wait because it's out of stock.
Good luck!
Max Roh
nikess1
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of nikess1
At ronjo, you can type bizmagic. There will be two, manipulation cards, and a card trick by Lee Eun Gyeol again! By the way, I'm Korean and I bought a lots of magic supplies from bizmagic in http://www.bizmagic.com 'Rose from a card' is also made by Lee Eun Gyeol, By the way, I'm Korean I will tell you somethin. Rose from a card is a magic trick that Lee Eun Gyeol wanted to show for his propose. He use it sometimes in his concert. really beautiful! lovely! If you e-mail me, I will show you some videos to you I can get them for you. Bye
Max Roh