The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Dancing Cane (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Alright, there is an appearing Dancing Cane. I may sound stupid but, is there a vanishing cane as well? I have some great ideas to end the dancing cane routine with a vanishing cane. As you reach the end of your routine, the cane vanishes into a silk streamer or you vanish into your top hot, etc...
Bryan
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Try a Fantasio disappearing cane, and you might try the Fantasio gimmick for dancing. I must warn you however that if there are any items that will be appearing as a result of the vanish of the cane, it may throw the cane off weight and make it extreemly difficult to perform the dancing. Also, it appears that if you intend to perform both the Appearing Dancing Cane and a cane that you can transform, then I believe you are going to have to exchange canes. I may be wrong! But most of what you were talking about performing is taught in the Fantasio Books about 35 years or so ago, If you need the resource.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
David,

Just wanted to say publicly this is a superb DVD. I like the 'short' teaching of each move. 1 at a time, so that you're not overwhelmed, like in so many other DVDs.

Rick
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Thanks Rick,
I just wish everyone could see the DVD. My sole goal was to help magicians move their skills along so that there may be a new generation performing this trick.
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
David that was an incredible performance-- awesome moves with the hat, my friend!! It definitely sold me on your DVD. Smile

Angela
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Angela,

I would advise getting David's cane too, as I did. The one I have can do most of the moves, but it seems with the new design of his cane, the moves come much easier.

And just wait until you get the DVD and see the whole performance, WOW. Now I wish I were a dancer LOL

Rick
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Thanks for the advice Rick; I agree that the new design sounds pretty darn good. Ooh, and I can't wait to see the whole performance! 17 moves, right? That sounds like enough to keep me busy for a while.

Angela
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Angela,
Thanks, for the compliments. I think if you really pay attention to the DVD you will find that there are more than the 17 moves that are taught. There are hidden moves that are meant to be found only by the astute performer of this art. By the way I think you will be satisfied with this cane!
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I switched last summer to Losander's Floating Broom and I've never looked back! It is muc larger than the standard cane which has 2 big benefits. The first is that it is more visible and works better for a stage routine. The second and more important benefit to me is how it moves. It's larger size makes it possible to make it move much more slowly. It's very hypnotic. It's beautifully made, but quite fragile. I'm on my second broom due to a slight accident when my assistant tripped while packing after a show. I was able to patch it up enough to use as a practice broom, but it wasn't performance worthy after that spill. I guess a third benefit for me was that I found the broom to be more easily motivated for my character. I don't dress like a "traditional" magician and the cane just always looked so goofy in my hands. It never made any sense. The broom has an old handmade look to it, which works well for a tale of witchcraft or a Harry Potter theme. Anyone who is a serious student of the dancing cane would REALLY enjoy manipulating one of these. I still love practicing with my cane, but the moves feel even better with the broom. Just an alternative idea.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
David,

By 'hidden' moves, I assume you mean the ones that aren't taught, but can be learned by watching your moves with the taught moves.

If so, then, yes, I've picked up one or two that way.

Rick
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Very cool David... it's like how Hollingworth slips in a few things here and there for people who actually bother to read every single part of his book. Smile
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Angela and Ricker,
Your both right and your the first magicians to actually figure it out! Ta Da! By the way, Levitator you might take a look at the DVD there is something new for everyone who loves Dancing Cane or dancing anything for that matter!
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
Dmann, loved the video! You are so smooth and the cane fits your character perfectly! You showed some really creative alternative moves that I've never even thought about trying with the broom. The around the world move while taking your hat off was beautiful. That was my fiancee's favorite part of the routine. The production on the video was very classy also. I will be picking up the DVD next week when I get back home! The demo video alone gave me plenty to think about. Great stuff!
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Levitator,
Thanks for your comments and praise. I bow my head and tip my hat to all of you!
Magicjess76
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Magicjess76
David,
The demo was awesome! You just sold another DVD! Amazing Performance!
~Jessica
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Thanks one all for your support!

I honestly didn't know how the Magic Fraternity would recieve the DVD, but I am so glad you all enjoy it!

Yours in Magic
David Mann
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
Dancing Cane is very good trick for the whole body!
You must control your hands and your body when the cane is floating, this is very important.
I make my own Dancing Cane and use very good thr*d.
The same as McBride 'Gutterman'.
Very solid and very strong.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Hayre
View Profile
Loyal user
Arkansas
240 Posts

Profile of Hayre
I have an unidentified cane, and suspect it is a Peter Pit cane. It has a large ball shaped wooden knob, and shaft is made of black metal (aluminum) that folds into about 5 pieces, bungled together. Tip is pointed. Tiny hole(s) drilled thru cane nearer the knob end . Sound like a Peter Pit ?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2020, Hayre wrote:
I have an unidentified cane, and suspect it is a Peter Pit cane. It has a large ball shaped wooden knob, and shaft is made of black metal (aluminum) that folds into about 5 pieces, bungled together. Tip is pointed. Tiny hole(s) drilled thru cane nearer the knob end . Sound like a Peter Pit ?

YES, that is the Peter Pit Dancing Cane, they sold for around $70.00.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I believe that the cane in question was not a Peter Pit Dancing Cane per se. It is credited rather to Jerry Benson. But Peter Pit did write the instructions for it.

Here's a link to one of my posts on the IBM Ring 103 Norfolk facebook page, where you will find Ed Mishell's review of the Jerry Benson Dancing Stick:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3662......05021417
As the ad copy says, the cane "can be produced from its plastic case, from a hat, from your jacket, etc." But it doesn't quite appear instantaneously like a Walsh or Harrakan Appearing Cane does.

The balance of the Benson cane is perfect. But the hardwood knob makes it a little weighty compared to the balsa wood Creekmore Dancing Cane and the Fantasio Dancing/Vanishing Cane.

If anyone has the Peter Pit instructions for the Jerry Benson Dancing Cane, I'd love to get some scans of them.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez