The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Zombie Opinions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I was originally planning on buying Tommy and Dirk's Animated Sphere, but I love that idea Pete! It brings more justfication to the routine rather than just a ball floating. Plus, since the comedy is involved, there's no need for any corny patter that I've seen some use. I'm definately going to work on this one.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Pete is creative because he has learned to think outside of the box and think outside of the norm. He has trained himself to be creative. We can all get this way but it takes practice like anything else.

The main problem with thinking creatively with magic, is that magicians tend to think too much like magicians. If you can get yourself away from that magician mindset, you really can open yourself up to limitless possibilities.

Instead of always looking at your books and magic videos for creative ideas, step away from them for a moment and look at art, music, and the world around you. You will be suprised how much it can change your magic as well.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Kyle is so right -- and he's said this before -- we tend to think too much like "magicians." If we want to do a floating effect with a cloth, we turn to Zombie; otherwise it's the Okito ball. If we want to do a levi, we think of a person in a horizontal position. The Sub Trunk is another one: it's gotta be a trunk or a packing case. Why?

When Joe Karson came up w/ Zombie, he probably had a reason for using a silver ball (as opposed to a square wood crate), and for all I know the name "Zombie" and the ball may have been tied in with horror movies of the late 40's. But now we tend to look at Zombie as a trick, a ball with a cloth.

I used to do Zombie all the time back when I was performing, and I even bought the Abbott's skull silk to go with it. I liked to think it fit into my overall theme... and it probably did to some degree. If I were to do Zombie nowadays, I'd come up with a backstory so the "ball" has a purpose and there's a logical reason to use a cloth.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
If I were to do Zombie nowadays, I'd come up with a backstory so the "ball" has a purpose and there's a logical reason to use a cloth.

I agree, the cloth has no purpose. The only logical reason I can see for it (at the moment) is if the ball is a crystal ball that you must keep inside the cloth when you store it. Then the ball floats or something as it tries to get away and you use the cloth to try to catch it. I think it's a sense of conflict that can make this trick into a trick that projects the magical feeling to the entire audience.
David McDermott
View Profile
New user
Venice, CA
1 Post

Profile of David McDermott
Where can I find video of a good non-ball Zombie performance?

I had wanted to "Zombie-fy" a skull to fit in with a graveyard-themed Hallloween show that I do, but after viewing Tim Wright's DVD, it seems to me that the very "seamlessness" of the ball is essential to the effect, or else the audience will be able to tell which side the gimmick is attached to.

To do a non-ball Zombie, would you have to limit the routine to moves that keep the "ball" in the same orientation?
--David McDermott,
AKA the illustrious Doktor Calamari
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The modern presentation of the Zombie really goes to Al Schneider. His presentation and work with the gimmick is what inspired Tommy Wonder and, eventually, Dirk Losander. If you understand that, then you can understand how to make the cloth logical.

Matt: If the gimmick hurts your thumb, you are doing it wrong.

Doing a non-ball Zombie does not necessarily require limiting the moves. Learn Schneider first, then get Tommy Wonder's book and think about adapting the principle to a skull.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
wild_card_matt
View Profile
New user
UK
10 Posts

Profile of wild_card_matt
To whomever has both Zombie and Shere, which is the best and easiest to work with? The Shere looks amazing and the Zombie seems to be a little dated..?

Matt

Whoops, Sorry people, I meant Sphere.. My apology's... Anyone who has not yet seen this Sphere. Watch the demo video on...

http://www.penguinemagic.com

Matt
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
Losander also does a bubble (like soap bubble) zombie, which is nice. It even 'pops' under the foulard. It's in his art of levitation dvd.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of eb02
Take a look at the bird cage zombie.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Finn Jon has a very nice zombie that Stevens Magic handles.

BUT... to see Finn Jon do the floating ball, combining MIME moves and IT -- now that's magic. No cloth cover.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
Finn Jon gimmick is very good!
The Bend made perfectly and for performance is very good.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
vlance
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of vlance
Bird cage Zombie is very good go to Siammagic.com
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
This is very nice, I like it
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Can someone comment on the skull Zombie please. DOes it rotate like the silver ball?
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Enric Magoo from Spain used to do a Skull zombie... it would sing "Summer Nights" (from Grease) with the mouth moving. Very Funny. It wasn't about the skull floating like the ball. It was more a method to animate the skull.

Michael Platt (who is here on the Café) does a zombie baseball, with the baseball jersey as the foulard. Very clever.

Sonny Fontana does the zombie fax machine/telephone. I have never seen this one.

and once, I saw someone float an actual zombie testicle.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
LOL, great routines::)
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
One can create many different items that can be floated ala zombie.
I have modified an M&M doll and a sponge bob, so they can be used with a zombie gimmick. You could use about anything.
Jeff McBride floats one of his masks in his mask routine.
It sure doesn't have to be a ball or a skull.
Daniel Faith
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
So with all the bizarre stuff out there...anyone making a good looking zombie skull. As opposed to the happy bright white halloween plastic model??
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.