The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Silk Fountain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Sung, I hope you are combining the 4 spring flowers together to make one big flower bouquet. That way the impact is much better for a finale. Judge for yourself the size of the spring flower bouquet - if it is not big enough then perhaps you can add another one or two more. Make sure that the appearance of the flowers are stronger and bigger than the silks. Size matters.

Another idea is to produce one or two parasols from the silks or maybe the giant card fans.

If the appearance of any item is BIG in appearance then you have a good finale.
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
Thanks for you advice James. I tried to get the cheapest and yet biggest spring flower that I could get hold of and the best I could do was one which is about 8 inches in diameter. (Cost was one of the reason why I chose spring flower instead of other things. They were simply the cheapest. Since I'm not a professional magician, I wanted to minimize the cost) I thought of bunching two bouquets together to make two large ones and produce them. Would combining four make them look any bigger? (I thought you cannot change the diameter of the bouquet and the reason I'm combining them is because the one I bought had only 12 flowers on each bouquet). So instead, I thought if I produce several, it would take up greater volume and look more impressive.

Sung
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Sung, producing several single bouquets does not make it impressive. You have to bundle them together as a big one. Actually you can increase the diameter of the combined bouquets - it is in the string that is attached to each flower. By increasing the length of the string (joining additional string together to make it longer) you are incresing the entire diameter of the bouquet of flowers. You need to untie the bouquet of flowers first before doing it.

Hope this helps.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2007-05-07 22:56, Pete Biro wrote:
Slydini used to make 'em with a condom.

Are you just happy to see me or is that a silk fountain in your pocket?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I use 4 steamers loaded with confetti.Looks nice and must be held high .A great applause cue..Howard
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
Howard, what length streamer do you use?

Sung
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Here's an idea for you, Sung.

At the end of the fountain silks, let the streamers roll out and then the spring flower bouquet. It would be quite colorful. The streamers can be a single long piece of silks (30 feet long) or 2-3 streamers.
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Six feet..Multicolored Rice..Howard
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Add a bingo device that is rolled up inside the streamer. As it unrolls, you get bang and then the streamer.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
What is a bingo device Richard?

Sung
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A little spring loaded device kind of like a mousetrap that fires a cap when released.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
My streamers are 1.5 meters by 1 inch (joy's of UK, we work with two measurement systems). They're plain white (because of the flower/bridal thing, and the fountain is from gloves). My flower bunch is like 20 flowers. However the only reason I put flowers in is because it's a flower act, and I use the fountain because it looks like a flower blooming.

Paul
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Richard,
Wouldn't a cap going off damage the silks??
Daniel Faith
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It shouldn't as the cap is mounted on a small piece of plastic that keeps it out of direct contact with the silk.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
magicalmelvin
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of magicalmelvin
I saw Duane Laflin's silk fountain in Colon and it looked good. He also had a color-changing silk streamer that I purchased and really liked. Until reading this post I never thought about putting the two together, but as a finale pulling out the black streamer with the right hand, with the fountain in the left, glance back and forth at the two, then change the black streamer to multi color with the right hand might be a good ending if you are not using a dove.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
MagicalMelvin, it would look better if you do the color changing silk streamer first, then from it produce the fountain silk, and from this bunch of silk produce something else. The fountain silk naturally give you a good cover to produce something else. This way the visual impact is much better.

Just food for thought.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
And, if you are doing the silk fountain to dove, there are silk fountains out there designed to do just that.

All the best,

Rob
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
YOu can make your own silk fountain. that way you can appreciate your own creation as well as saving money. plus you will have a feeling of accomplishment.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It's true that making anything yourself will save money and give you a sense of accomplishment - just don't invite me to dinner and make me constantly complement the workmanship on your wobbly dining table between mouthfulls of food!

If you have the knowledge, talent and time it makes sense to do something yourself.

If you do not - go to a professional.

I did not have the knowledge, talent or time when I needed a fountain so I bought from Richard Hughes and couldn't be happier.

These days I've learnt an awful lot about fountains, but still have no talent for crafting professional looking and working props - and time is at a premium, so when I need another fountain, I'll be giving Richard another call.

Destiny
ruaturtle
View Profile
Regular user
Gastonia, NC
113 Posts

Profile of ruaturtle
If any of you fine folks are willing, I'd welcome the intructions on how to best make my own fountain...
I have found that I do not suffer from insanity... instead I rather enjoy it! : )

Poodle... the other white meat.