The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Back palming and producing singles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
Hey All,

Newbie to the group here, but I thought I would post a link to some clips of myself doing a little manipulation. There's a bit of everything in there. Nothing I would call spectacular but I'd like to have comments about them.

http://homepage.mac.com/joelsidwell/FileSharing10.html

Thanks!
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On 2002-12-18 03:53, Masilon wrote:
Is there any video with Pollok performing ?

Luca
Yes. Pollock can be seen performing his act in a film entitled "European Nights". You can get a copy of this from Steven's Magic Emporium. Also, if you happen to get re-runs of the television show "Daniel Boone" starring Fess Parker, there is an episode that features Pollock as a traveling magician. If anyone has a copy of this, let me know, as I would like to see this again myself.
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
Hello, I'm also a newbie to the group, but not to magic. I have to agree with Wikiro. Going from "101 Amazing Card Tricks" to Jeff McBride's "The Art of Card Manipulation" videos is quite a jump. The information on those videos may be overwhelming to a beginner. I would suggest the Brad Burt's "Basics of Card Techniques" which covers double lifts and false shuffles.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Channing Pollack was featured in The Best of Magic and The Art of Magic. When I was in the States last time I saw a book "The Art of Magic " and I guess that you can buy the video too. I have the tape but I am in Europe. I agree that Channing was one of the best. Using the method of Charles Kettle, he eliminated flashing the stock of cards that has been stolen from the fan. Two other guys I would mention are Cardini and Fred Kaps. Most of you have never seen Kaps performing card productions but that was what he used before he used bill grab routine.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
12 years isn't that young. I started around 8. Not until age 14 did I figure out that this stuff is hard!!!! And it was a good thing to start young, to gain the movements and experience, to execute the move now, with 20+ cards, I am able to do so. I suggest you, magicial_kid, to start as soon as you can, because once you learn how to produce one card, you will start to amaze people, and even yourself. Soon you'll find out there are many other ways to produce a card.

You are lucky, since you have all of the help you need right here in the magic Café. I think that's why this place was created, right? Magicians helping magicians =)

-Chris

Ohh and Zauber280, your split fans are nice, but I suggest you use fewer cards. It looks like you're struggling with them and on your angles, too. Just a suggestion.
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
A couple of Café friends asked I post another clip demonstrating a pivot and manipulation of 5 cards.
Well finally got a few minutes to record one via web cam. And yes, I slowed down on this one.

It's Here!

Enjoy. Smile

Randy Stewart
Masilon
View Profile
New user
Milan-Italy
53 Posts

Profile of Masilon
Randy,
I can't open your file. Is it zipped with Winzip? Thanks,

Luca
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Yes Masilon, it is a 21mb clip zipped with WinZip. I'll be loading the same clip as a AVI (doesn't need to be unzipped). However, 21mb will take an hour at 56K connection and just a minute or two on high speed connections (cable, DSL, T1 etc.)
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
I have a question. If you give the cards a sharp bend and then unbend them so it is easier to backpalm them is it cheating? Lol, I can backpalm 7 cards not doing this but 15 cards giving them the bends.
white hats rule.
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
The best result is glue 5 or 6 cards tgher
and practice a lot lol Smile
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
mcatalani
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of mcatalani
"I have a question. If you give the cards a sharp bend and then unbend them so it is easier to backpalm them is it cheating? Lol, I can backpalm 7 cards not doing this but 15 cards giving them the bends."

Haha, no not cheating. That's what we call breaking the cards in.

You don't want a permanent bend in the cards, though. If you produce a card, you want it to be as straight and flat as possible. If the audience can see a bend or curve in the card, it's easier to mentally connect where the card was produced from.

Michael
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Quote:
On 2002-12-23 18:40, The Original Countelmsley wrote:
Jeff McBride's tapes or DVDs are they way to make certain your technique is correct. You can practice forever with the wrong technique and get nowhere. I suggest you avoid fanning powder. The best exercise is performing the action repeatedly.
Ben, I respectfully disagree with you about Channing Pollack who I idolize for his technique. Jeff has mastered every phase of card manipultion and is equal to or maybe surpasses Pollack and I have seen them both perform.
Mr. Original-I totally agree with you in regards Mr.McBride. I was wondering why you suggest not using fanning powder? The owner of my favorite magic shop makes the same comment on a video but, does not explain why. I have not been able to talk to him lately. He's hundreds of miles from me and I've never thought to e-mail him (I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack!!),but,I will ask him too. Please share your opinion about fanning powder. Thanks in advance.
Sincerely, Lee. Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
My own experience with fanning powder has been mixed. I think that it can be useful for card fanning routines such as those in "Routined Manipulation" but I don't like it at all for production work. I tried to use it very sparingly and beat the snot out of the cards trying to get the coating as light as possible, but the cards always felt gummy to me. The abuse I put packs of Bees through (which effectively ruins the slick plastic coating on the cards) to prepare them for manipulation is fairly adequate to keep them from slipping all over.

A strange but appropriate analogy could be: when your face is shiny (i.e. slippery) you could either wipe off the oil or use powder to cover it up.

Perhaps for actual "manipulation" cards (Marvey's, Murphy's, etc) it has some use, but I wouldn't know. As it stands, I think fanning powder is only good for fanning. It's not called "manipulation" powder, after all Smile
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
Randy, your video was brill. I liked the way you went from back palming to spring palming. Very neat. It helped me with my back palming as I had been having trouble but am better now.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Keep practicing Geoff! Never give up. You really improve with every minute of practice. Every minute is a precious investment. I had given my hands a break for two days and returned to my card manipulation today—I was like a wild man with those things! Hehehe. A little break now and then helps. Good luck! Smile
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of kipling100
Yeah, fanning powder really makes singles and split fans a lot stickier and harder to do. I captured a clip of Channing Pollock doing some doves and cards from some history channel show. Let me know if you're interested in seeing it.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'd love to see the Channing Pollock footage. What was the show about on History Channel?

Regarding the 12 year old magician, I was probably 13 when I studied Ganson's Routine Manipulation books. The third one has a lot about his card production techniques and routine. By the time I was 14, I was opening my birthday shows with Ganson's card production routine. All 75 cards! White cotton gloves, etc. Wish I had movies of that but I don't. I say go for it, kid!
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
CardiniMan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
169 Posts

Profile of CardiniMan
Randy,

Your card work is way too good to be bringing your thumb in on the pivot. Try keeping the thumb completely extended while you do it, and just let the wrist and fingers look like they are they only things moving. I know that might be very old school and Channing of me, but it does give it a different look. Give it a try.

Glenn
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of kipling100
I think the history channel show was about the vaudevilles; I didn't end up watching it after the Pollock segment. I'll let you know if I find somewhere to host it ...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Kipling.
Also, for our young magician, if the McBride tapes are a bit too pricey at the moment, go with what we used—Lewis Ganson's Routine Manipulation books.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...