The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: the greatest manipulator of all time. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
I agree with you guys, they are both very good performers, but peter marvey uses gimicked cards, while on the other hand mcbride uses all skills(I think this is what Sable ment by "help").

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
G-Diddy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of G-Diddy
I would have to put Mcbride over Marvey...
On WGM both performed...Marvey does look impressive with the open fingers production...but using a gimmick to do a move can't be compared to not using help...Like doing hopping halves vs. coin work without gimmicks...Maybe the layperson is equally impressed, but skill is skill...
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
All true guys, but let's not forget that Marvey did most of the rest of his card routine without any help and only added the catcher at the end. He showed that he really does know what he's doing. I put them in the same rank.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
No, sable didn't mean gimmicked cards.. although... can we say "b***k a*t?" lol.. but anyway... McBride and Marvey do two completely different types of acts!! you can't even compare the two... look at his drink manipulation! That is so bomb. and that cool castle at the end. he he he nice.. but as sable said... he is using a gimmick... the reason he can use a gimmick and get away with it.. is because he has established his credibility as a fantastic manipulator... so what if he's using a gimmick? Hey.. if the audience is entertained by it more because of it... thats all that counts.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Where is Jean Hugard on this scale of the best manipulators?
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
millusions
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of millusions
I personaly feel that the best were cardini and slydini !

thanx
mike
Js Magic
View Profile
New user
ON, Canada
3 Posts

Profile of Js Magic
I think when asking the question who is the best manipulator is a very wide area for deciding there are so many diferant types of manipulation ex. card, builliard balls
i would say u would have to go into a more detail and elect one for each catagory. but for in general my vote would go for cardini not because i think he has the most talent i think all the greats have talent that no one can match in there own way i pick cardini because i think he has made the biggest impact on manipulation and changed it into what we know today alowing great magicians like McBride and Marvey to exist. I know not every one thinks the way i do and i am looking forword to reading your oppions on my though

Jay Smile
morpheus
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of morpheus
My self ofcouse... lol
I would have to say cardini and mcbride are the greatest manipulaters of all time but I do like some of the stuff burton does
-morpheus
Tom Witcomb
View Profile
New user
Sarasota, Florida
93 Posts

Profile of Tom Witcomb
Cardini...The guy wore gloves..I have trouble putting my shoes on with gloves.. Smile
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
As for being more specific with regards to different categories- I'll give it a Whirl!
billiard balls- Cardini
Cards productions- Cardini
Cigarretes- Cardini
Naturalness- Cardini
Misdirection- Cardini
Acting- Cardini

Also, Jeff Mcbride is a great magician and puts on a great show- He is a wonderful performer, But Lance Burton's Grand Prix winning act of expert manipulations puts him up alongside the greats of all time- Men like Channing Pollock, Richard Ross, Norm Neilson, etc.
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
Peter Marvey's "Magic Hands" act is fantastic... though I do not like the music so much Smile
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Who cares who the best is, I enjoy watching Cardini as much as I enjoy watching Jeff as much as Peter Marvey etc! I gasp at all of their skill and will always aspire to reach even a fraction of their ability.

They are all what my idea of a real magician should be.

Bonz
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Marvey uses an assist device which allows him to spread his fingers and produce cards. He is no match for Jeff McBride. I would have to include in my list Johnny Hart with cards, and Brett Daniels performing the Billiard Balls with a long stem rose. Also Channing Pollock and Lance Burton. Cardini was great but I did not like the way he plucked the fans out of the air. He didn't pause to allow the audience to see an empty hand.
mcatalani
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of mcatalani
I would rank Brett Daniels up there with the best of them. I've seen him many times, and you'll be hard pressed to find someone as smooth and relaxed with cards, balls, etc. The last card performance I saw him do was especially spectacular. It seemed like he showed his hands empty every 5 seconds. He must of cleanly loaded a dozen times during that one performance.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Cardini was great.
If you have to pick only one...I am satisfied with him.
I doubt if most people on this site has ever seen Cardini in action.

Smile
Daniel Faith
DeadRinger
View Profile
New user
long island
55 Posts

Profile of DeadRinger
i think cardini was better as a performer, i think McBride is a bit of an overactor and kinda cheesy
*POOF*
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I would have to say Cardini.

Guardian, no I haven't seen him in action (I'm only thirteen); I've only seen him on video clips. But, I wish I could have seen him live. I can respect him for all of the moves he created in manipulation and his wonderful performance style.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery